More than 50 million people in the southern African region face food insecurity due to challenges brought by the coronavirus.
This was said by the Southern African Regional Vulnerability Committee in its Regional Vulnerability Assessment and Analysis (RVAA) Programme report.
The findings were revealed at the programme’s Annual Organisational Meeting (AOM) by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Vulnerability Committee convened virtually under the leadership of Mozambique on Monday.
The annual meeting is aimed to provide the National and Regional Vulnerability Assessment Committees and its International Cooperating Partners (ICPs) an opportunity to reflect on their work, in order to find solutions to challenges and advance good practices to Vulnerability Assessment and Analysis (VAA) practitioners in the region.
A statement availed to the media yesterday said about 51.3 million people, both in urban and rural areas of southern Africa, are food insecure due to COVID-19 and the figure is likely to rise with the extended impacts of COVID-19.
It says last year December, the VAA dissemination forum issued an updated synthesis report, which integrated COVID-19 into all sectoral analyses where it projected an increase from 41 million in 2019/2020 to 51.3 million people expected to be food insecure in the region.